Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Belinda L. Houghton, Ph.D

Today, I officially passed my thesis defense (also known as the viva voce in Ireland/UK system). The defense lasted three hours, and overall it went well! I answered some questions really well and confidently, others maybe not so much, and some I just misunderstood. All I have to say is that three hours of questioning is exhausting! I am really looking forward to sleeping in tomorrow, followed by moving to my couch and watching chick flicks for the day.

I should note that technically I can't officially say that I have my PhD until the final copy has been submitted and approved by the UCC interdisciplinary committee, but that won't be for a while. But the thesis is written, I passed the viva, and the examiners signed the paperwork, so its close enough!

5 comments:

jenni said...

Dr. Houghton!! Congrats!!!! I also like your new blog header.

Lacy & Simon said...

Congratulations Dr. Belinda! Let's talk over the weekend. I got home too late tonight.

Grant Factor said...

Here goes, I'm about to use my first (and maybe only) "text language" ever: OMG!!! That's right, Oh My God! Belinda, you are the WOman! Dr. Houghton is in the f*ing house!

I'm so happy for you. There's nothing like the realization of over half a decade of steady work toward a *sort of* singular goal. Man, what a long road. Hopefully you are still on the couch watching chick flicks. You know, because "the couch watching chick flicks" seems so intimately tied to relaxation... I may just spend my first few post-defense days that way. Sisterhood of the traveling g-strings (or pants)... here I come!

G

Unknown said...

That is just so totally awesome. It's got to be great now that the hardest part is over with. Congrats!

Sean and Belinda said...

Thanks for the kind notes everyone! It is a big relief! Although sad to leave Ireland, I'm really looking forward to the next step.

G - Sisterhood of the Travelling G-strings... Something tells me you and I aren't into the same type of 'chick flicks'. But other than that, sounds like you and I are on the same page. =)