Friday, January 23, 2009

General Surgery Rank Lists

As the past three months have passed, I have personally logged some 12,000 miles of travel distance, and have put down one heck of a carbon footprint. Apologies to Mother Nature :) It has been a great experience overall to visit some very prestigious institutions of medicine and surgery, and my five years in Ireland has led to very interesting questions during my interview sessions. Favorite questions asked of me:

1) So is the buzz about Ireland really true? Is it more green than Oregon?
2) What's your drink?
3) If one was to travel, where would they go?

All great craic really. I have been well received and amazed by the exceptional comments Chairmen/Chairwomen and Program Directors have made about my experiences and accomplishments. I remain humbled by the whole process and excited that my dream of a career in surgey will be answered in less than 50 days! At present my ranking list has not been certified, but at present this is the list to date:

Catagorical

1) Oregon and Health Science University
2) Mayo School of Graduate Education
3) Penn State (Hershey Medical Center)
4) University of Kansas, Kansas City

Preliminary

5) Johns Hopkins
6) University of Washington
7) Hospital of University of Pennsylvania
8) Yale University
9) Oregon Health & Science University
10) Mayo School of Graduate Education
11) University of Washington
12) Penn State (Hershey Medical Center)

Wish us luck, and thanks for continuing to check in on Belle and I through the days, months, years. Slainte.

1 comment:

Lacy & Simon said...

Wow! Good luck Sean. We are thinking about you.