Monday, May 5, 2008

Spring Updates and Summer Plans

Whooops, didn't realize it had been so long since our last update!

My biggest news is that I am officially done with data collection!!! I received the offical approval from my advisor last week, and to be honest I never thought this day would come! My current plan is to finish a draft of my thesis by the end of May, revise in June, and submit in July. Unlike the US system, there is a 3-month grace period between the submission date and the oral defense (or the 'viva'), which means I get to chill out for almost three months! Although I have a lot of work to do between now and July, I feel like have this odd sense of freedom. My time is finally my own and I don't need to adhere to a daily time schedule. I'm also stoked that I have time each day to go workout, which alternates between swimming, running, and rock climbing. Without it, I think I would crack up!

Sean, on the other hand, is dealing with a very busy and strict schedule. He is currently studying for his fourth year exams. He had his 15 station OSCE (Objective Structured Clinical Exam) last Thursday, and a General Practice exam this Friday. Following that, he has three exams the next week, followed by another three exams the week after, and I think they've thrown in a few oral exams as well.

As for this summer, we are both heading back to Oregon on June 7th. I am flying into Seattle to visit with Rowan and Ciara, our friends from Cork who moved to Seattle last fall. Rowan was my officemate at UCC and is now a postdoctoral fellow at the University of Washington. After that, I'll be finishing up my thesis and Sean will be studying for the USMLE Step 2CK, which he will sit on June 27. We're not sure if we'll be in Portland or Eugene during that time, but we promise to keep everyone posted!

Our plans for July and August are still up in the air...Sean will hopefully be at OHSU for an elective in July, and possibly to the Mayo Clinic or Cleveland Clinic in August. Sean then sits his hopefully final USMLE Step 2CS exam, August 26th, in Los Angeles before departing back to Ireland to begin his final medical year.

After I submit my thesis, my plan is just to hang out and visit before we head back to Cork at the end of August.

That's the update for now! Hope everyone is well, in good spirits, and enjoying some nice spring weather!

1 comment:

Grant Factor said...

Sounds busy and exciting!! We can't wait to see you in Oregon this June, and congratulations on finishing up in the lab!!!!

Sean, it sounds like you have "an exam or two" coming up... my advice: don't study, just wing it!

No, but seriously, good luck (though I don't think luck has anything to do with it!).

Cheers!

G